Lilly Ann Nichols
Born: June 30, 2011
Weight: 6lb 3oz
Height: 20 inches
She was actually due July 7th, but my doctor was going out of state so we lucked out! Israel and I arrived at Mountain View hospital at 5:30am Thursday, June 30th. It was the strangest feeling to wake up knowing I was really going to have a baby in just a few hours. I also think it a bit cruel to make schedule c-sections come in so early. Seriously, can there be no perks?
They sent me to the Pre-op room to hook up IVs, shower me with warm blankets (by the time I went in it looked like I was ready for a snow storm), and discuss anesthesia options. I thought my nerves would subside, but they only seemed to increase the closer I got to the delivery time. We chose to have a spinal block because it was quick set up and has less risk of headache after. They started the surgery at 7:25 am. They have these fabulous warm air blowers that they set up to your blankets now that I want desperately for my bed at home come this winter. Those are cheap, right? hehe
It's odd feeling the doctor cutting into me while fully awake and aware. Didn't help my nerves much with all the tugging and pulling. Iz was great. He held my hand, told me to breathe deep and said I was doing great, despite the fact I was't doing anything at all except nearly hyperventilating. I don't like surgery. The only unexpected thing with this one was that I had what's called "phantom pain" in my shoulder. weird..and painful, but nothing dramatic! whew! And then....at 7:59am....

...our little lady was born!! She was head down, unlike what the doctor suspected and my cervix was completely closed. Suppose that could be my scheduled csection perk, eh? She was passed through a little window to the nursery for a quick clean up and assessments, then handed to Israel to show her to me while they finished closing me up.


Everything went great, but I will say I do not prefer this method of birth. I will ALSO say I'm so grateful it's an option!!! Dr. Leavitt did check out my uterus and said that the scars from my crazy messed up surgery a couple of years ago were healing well. That is fantastic news!!
Israel went to pick up the older girls while they got me all situated and Lilly set up. Then, Lilly presented them with a gift from her. PILLOW PETS!! They were so excited.
Mommy and Baby
Proud new parents

Mountain View has this great window outside the nursery where family can come watch the baby's first bath. I missed it, but they took video for me.
Then Iz took the girls back to our friend's house and I got to know this sweet girl better.
She was actually due July 7th, but my doctor was going out of state so we lucked out! Israel and I arrived at Mountain View hospital at 5:30am Thursday, June 30th. It was the strangest feeling to wake up knowing I was really going to have a baby in just a few hours. I also think it a bit cruel to make schedule c-sections come in so early. Seriously, can there be no perks?
They sent me to the Pre-op room to hook up IVs, shower me with warm blankets (by the time I went in it looked like I was ready for a snow storm), and discuss anesthesia options. I thought my nerves would subside, but they only seemed to increase the closer I got to the delivery time. We chose to have a spinal block because it was quick set up and has less risk of headache after. They started the surgery at 7:25 am. They have these fabulous warm air blowers that they set up to your blankets now that I want desperately for my bed at home come this winter. Those are cheap, right? hehe
It's odd feeling the doctor cutting into me while fully awake and aware. Didn't help my nerves much with all the tugging and pulling. Iz was great. He held my hand, told me to breathe deep and said I was doing great, despite the fact I was't doing anything at all except nearly hyperventilating. I don't like surgery. The only unexpected thing with this one was that I had what's called "phantom pain" in my shoulder. weird..and painful, but nothing dramatic! whew! And then....at 7:59am....
...our little lady was born!! She was head down, unlike what the doctor suspected and my cervix was completely closed. Suppose that could be my scheduled csection perk, eh? She was passed through a little window to the nursery for a quick clean up and assessments, then handed to Israel to show her to me while they finished closing me up.
Everything went great, but I will say I do not prefer this method of birth. I will ALSO say I'm so grateful it's an option!!! Dr. Leavitt did check out my uterus and said that the scars from my crazy messed up surgery a couple of years ago were healing well. That is fantastic news!!
Israel went to pick up the older girls while they got me all situated and Lilly set up. Then, Lilly presented them with a gift from her. PILLOW PETS!! They were so excited.
Mommy and Baby
Proud new parents
Mountain View has this great window outside the nursery where family can come watch the baby's first bath. I missed it, but they took video for me.
Then Iz took the girls back to our friend's house and I got to know this sweet girl better.

Iz stayed with me that night and though the sleep was horrible, I'm so grateful he was there. The next few days were long. Israel had to be with Maggie and Emma and I don't have family around here, so it got lonely and bit boring in the hospital. Gratefully, I had a few good friends come and visit. A quote from my journal on the last day, Sunday, July 3rd, "I'm ready (to go) because it's kinda lonesome here with Israel gone, but it has been really nice to have very little responsibility. I don't have to clean, cook, discipline, etc. But I do miss my other girls and their laughter."
Another quote from my journal, Saturday, July 2nd, "She is such a sweet baby and I love her more every minute I spend with her...Lilly's eyes are a very dark blue so it will be interesting to see the final color. I can't wait! Okay, I can because that means it's longer that I get to cuddle and snuggle her yummy newborn skin. I love this baby. It amazes me how the love grows with each child. It doesn't spread thin, but multiplies!...Israel has been A-MAZ-ING and I'm so grateful for all he's done and is doing to be a wonderful husband and father."
We are so blessed. I am so blessed. Thank you baby, Lilly, for coming to our family.




2 comments:
She is a darling! Those are some very cute pictures. (And I'm sure we're all expecting more of them!)
I also had shoulder pain after my c-section. One of the nurses said it was pretty common and due to air getting in the body during surgery and then migrating to the shoulders when you're sitting up. Weird.
aw so cute!! I'm glad things went well and that you are recovering alright. I love the pillow pets idea. congrats on the little cutie. :)
Post a Comment