2.19.2011

Our First Real Injury

Last Thursday Maggie broke her ankle while playing on the glider equipment at school.  She was such a trooper, even though that first night was HORRIBLE!  She got it splinted that evening and I gave her the prescribed codeine right before bed at about 9pm.  She was OUT and I thought 'Hooray!  This won't be so bad after all.'  Well, when I was ready to go to bed around 11pm she was just waking up in pain.  :(  The saddest thing ever.  Basically, we spent the entire night crying in pain or vomiting from the codeine.  No breaks.  At 7am she finally dropped off to sleep and thus so could I, 40 min later....more pain.  It might have been my worst night ever having to watch her suffer without really being able to do a whole lot to relieve the pain, except to just be there.

Since she has been great!  She got her cast on Monday (Valentine's Day) and was able to attend her class Valentine party.  She was so excited, she'd been afraid she would miss it.  I had to work, but Iz took her to get her cast on and when I called he said she was just declaring that "Today, is the best day of my LIFE!"  See picture below to see why...
 The white part is actually GLOW IN THE DARK!  Is that not the coolest cast ever?!?  They even put an adorable heart onto for her.  As you can tell, pink IS her favorite color.
The girls were attempting to help the cat float. (stuffed kitty)
We have such wonderful friends and neighbors that were willing to drop everything and come to our aide during the whole broken ankle process and I am SO GRATEFUL TO THEM!  I couldn't have made it through those first couple of days alone.  Israel was working a lot and wasn't able to be there, so it was comforting to know I had people I could rely on.  My friend, Shari, even put together a little "Get Better" care package for Maggie with balloons and cookies.  And seriously, all the thoughtful emails written just to Maggie were wonderful and really perked her up.  SHE LOVED IT!  So thanks again everyone!

4 comments:

Tara Oliver said...

oh no, the poor thing! at least she didn't miss her V-day party. awesome. :)

Frisbies Forever said...

Aww, she even looks cute in a cast!

The Hanselmann Family said...

You are doing pretty good if this your first major accident. We have had plenty at our house! Her cast is awesome! So glad that she is up and feeling better.

Piepee said...

Very cool cast!! So glad she got her party and is feeling better.