10.20.2011

Playing Hooky

About a month ago Maggie and I were really struggling to get along.  I know, I know...shocker!  Anyway, fault was to be had on both sides but I bare the brunt of it since I suppose I AM the adult here.  ;)  I was trying to think of a way to reconnect with her since having the baby (it hasn't been easy for anyone, a post for another time) and I remembered something a friend of mine said, "The saddest award at school is for perfect attendance" and I have to agree.  Israel was home, so I got myself ready and surprised Maggie by picking her up right before lunch for the rest of the afternoon.

We went to Shari's for lunch and I let her dominate the conversation and just listened, then we decided we best get ready for an adventure (I'd packed her sneakers and water).  We went over the Freeman Park and spent an hour or so just exploring.
 We were weaving in and out of wooded areas, throwing rocks in the river, laying on the green grass, skipping around, looking for 4 leaf clovers and generally just enjoying the company of one another.  It was one of the nicest afternoons I've had in a really long time.  We finished off our day with a quick trip to Sonic for slushes.
I think it's so important to let go of the expectations and just enjoy our children for who they are right now.  I wish I could remember this more often.

No comments: