5.26.2010
In Other News: Little Miss Smarty Pants
A couple of weeks ago Maggie's Kindergarten teacher came to me and said that he and the principal had been talking and that they'd like to consider accelerating Maggie to the 2nd grade next year. She is reading at a 3-4th grade level and is doing very well in Math & Science. I was unsure what to do, because she sometimes has a difficult time doing just what the teacher asks (If you've met Maggie, you know she can be stubborn and that there are times she thinks her way is the best way). Anyway, we tried her out in the 1st grade for a week. She didn't have any problems with academics but did get in trouble. Apparently, she wouldn't copy the sentence that the teacher wrote. She wanted to write her OWN sentence. *sigh* After this week her teacher and I decided to put her with a teacher who loops (teaches 2nd & 1st grades alternating years) so she would have access to accelerated materials while still practicing the skills of a classroom. When talking with the teacher I work with she suggested I see if there's room in the Spectrum Class where I work (it's her home school). I did and long, long story short, the principal got her sent back over to her home school and set up in Spectrum before I could actually decide. I just wanted to know what our options were. *sigh* For those of you unfamiliar with Spectrum it is a classroom of 1st, 2nd & 3rd graders. They have different curriculum, but a student can move up into higher grade work if they are showing proficiency. Anyway, I only had an evening to consider what to do and Israel thought it will be great for her and I, being the biggest worry wort in the West, am just hoping it all works out for the best. It may be a growth year for me since I'll be working at the same school, though not in the same classroom. :) It may indeed be the best option. She'll have a few other kids in her age group, she'll get to accelerate in different studies and take her time mastering other skills, AND we won't have to worry about driving her to school everyday. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Quit worrying, she will do great! I can say that, I am the biggest worrier in the Midwest. :)
wow! she is a little miss smarty pants! :D
Awesome! I'm in one of those classes right now and it works really well. The kids are all doing great. Biggest issues are behaviors.
Post a Comment