Now, this is NOT an allowance. And she will NOT be paid to do things that I consider just being part of a family, such as keeping your room clean, cleaning up areas that you have been playing in or helping Mom and Dad regularly. So we sat down and decided on a "CHORE" that she could do everyday for one week to earn $2.00 toward Christmas presents for her sister and parents. Week 1- She cleaned the bathroom. Here was the list SHE came up with that needed to be completed before we could mark off the day.
1. Clean the mirror
2. Wipe down bathtub
3. Clean toilet and stock toilet pape
4. Wipe sink and counter
5. No clothes on the floor
6. Sweep
7. Mop
She DID it!! By Thurs it was too big a job for her 5 year old, self, but she followed through and made her $2.00 Christmas money.
This week she is doing a more manageable LIVINGROOM chore chart and learning to vacuum. It's great. Oh and we added a new part to her chore. A Happy Face. No whining and complaining about a job she WANTS to do. I'm so mean. That first week I let her know how the real world works. When she wanted to skip a step or not do the chore she had agreed to I explained how this is like having a job. I explained that I'm like a "Boss" and she works for me. If she chooses to not do the job we agreed to, that's fine with me...I'd be happy to fire her and she will lose the opportunity to earn any money for the week. Huh...it worked. She is still gainfully employed with the Nichols Household until Christmas.
6 comments:
That is so good that her chores are more than just doing things she should do anyway. A week or so ago Alison got the vacuum out and vacuumed the WHOLE HOUSE!!! I was so shocked because she cleaned up her room just to vacuum it!!!
what a great idea!
Nothin' more beautiful...
Awesome! Great character building going on there.
totally stealing your idea!
That bit about firing her was one of the funniest things I had read all day. I agree with you about not paying them for the normal expected chores. Good point!
Post a Comment