11.22.2008

Twilight - The Movie

I'm giving it mixed reviews. I can't decide if I'm just too picky. Never mind...I know I'm too picky. See I truly am "one of those people" who LOVES it when the movie is as true to the book as humanly possible and begins to loathe a movie that doesn't follow suit. Take the characters for instance... Bella- well done, she seemed a good match. Though, if I hadn't read the book I'd wonder what the heck she was thinking. Though that's not necessarily just acting that's more script work and directing. Edward- o.k. seriously, no one could actually live up to the beauty of the Edward my mind created, but "movie Edward" could have been more smooth and have more turn of the century mannerisms. Rosalie- are you kidding? I mean she's not ugly by any means, but she is NO Rosalie; who should be taller than Emmett and drop dead gorgeous. And I swear Jasper said something in the first book. Emmett should be HUGE, but I think his mannerisms are fairly in sync with the book. I know I'm going to love Alice. She looks as close to what I could have possibly imagined her (maybe shorter hair) but a very close match.

The movie mostly followed the book, but once again I'm that picky girl who likes to see situations happen where they "originally" happened and not where the director finds it most convenient. I'm not saying this was a bad movie or evenly poorly done, it's just hard for me to be satisfied by anything other than the original. I just wasn't drawn in to the movie as emotionally as I was the book. I'm I alone in this?

9 comments:

Misty said...

I'm waiting for it to sink in. I didn't LOVE it after I left the theater, but Glen did (and he has read the book). But I was the same with Harry Potter. I have to see the movie a few times to get over the characters and how they differ than those in my head, then I can decide if I like it or not.

I agree about Edward, but then again, maybe I'll feel differently after a few times of seeing it.

I did love how they casted everyone else, and I LOVED the random humor in it. I thought it was great.

So, I'm not sure either. But I actually started to like it more once it started deviating a little bit from the book. It pulled me in faster. Whereas when it was following the book, I just felt like someone was paraphrasing the book for me and I started to get bored.

Still, I'm on the fence about it. I don't like the filters they used on it or the new-aged camera angles it had. So, that is just a preference thing. But who knows.

Dianne said...

I understand what you're saying about paraphrasing. That makes sense as to why I was a bit bored, too. Maybe that's more of my problem than the characters. Israel saw it with me and he said it was a good movie as I kept picking it apart. I also agree with the new-aged camera angles, it gets distracting. Maybe I should see a few more times or just stick to books or movies and not both.

Layne said...

We agree on the mixed review. But Deniene and I agree, of all the movies we have ever seen, this was definitely one of them.

Katie said...

I am with you one hundred percent! Didn't Jasper kind of creep you out in the movie? I thought that was weird too that he didn't say a single word the whole time. And didn't you want Alice to be better friends with Bella in the movie? Maybe in the next movie they will do more with that. But I totally agree with you... enjoyed it, but didn't love it like I did the book.

Sara said...

My reviews are mixed too. The camera stuff was about to drive me crazy! and to me if a person hadn't read the book, I wonder if they would have a clue what was going on? It didn't flow very well, very choppy, documentary-esc. In harry potter they didn't follow the book very well but at least it flowed more like a story instead of just blink from one scene or situation to the next. And I thought edward was the creepy one (I couldn't get past his teeth), Jasper was more how I pictured Edward in the book.

Dianne said...

Oh and I forgot! What's up with Edward's hairy chest!! Seriously. And was this just a VERY low budget film or what? His brilliant sparkle in the sunlight was like glass not diamonds.

Misty said...

Yeah, Summit films isn't the greatest film-making company out there. I wish she would have held out a wee bit longer for a better company to make the film. I think that is what bothered me more than anything, the poor quality of the movie. Harry Potter is done well, and with STYLE.

But, it will be a good "quick fix" when I am having twilight withdrawlls and I don't have time to read the whole book.

Steph said...

I saw the movie with Jason, he did not read the book. I had to explain why they were doing what they were doing. If you didn't read the book it made no sense.
Edward- at first not what I pictured but I quickly fell in love. The actor is very charming.
Bella- Perfect casting. Perfect!
Rosalie- not even close
Alice- Looks like "Alice" but she seemed like an amature (sp?) actor.
Jasper- I pictured him being hot, smooth and vey mysterious. This guy looked like Edward Scissorhands. He was really creepy.
Emmett- good casting. He seemed really playful like in the movie. I wish they would have shown more of him and Edward goofing around with each other.
Carlise- Something looked weird about him.
Esme- She looked about how I would picture her.
The other vampires were well cast. I loved Victoria. Now SHE is a beauty.
I don't think they did a good job expressing how beautiful the vampires are supposed to be. How do you make them more beautiful?
I thought the film was not a good reflection of how awesome the book is. Editing was flawed. Special effects were crappy. It is way too adolescent. Would I go back again, and again? Heck yes!

Mya said...

So I finally got around to seeing the movie. I absolutely loved the movie!! I tend to be more forgiving of the directors and such. All in all I was actually very impressed. It would be very hard to get every aspect of a book into a movie and I think they were very creative. As far as characters I was pretty well satisfied with all the actors. I was pleasantly surprised with Charlie. He and Bella looked like they could actually be Father and Daughter. I also liked Jacob, but who didn't!