I began this challenge because it seems like I thought about food ALL the time. It's not the good food that beckoned me it was the highly processed, highly refined, fattening food that seemed to call my name in the night. Well, in my case it was calling my name 24 hours a day. As many of you know, I've been trying to lose ANY amount of weight and my jogging alone wasn't having much effect. I also read a book called, "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" and it started spurring some thoughts of an experiment. I decided I wanted to know what kind of difference it would make if I cut out all refined sugars, sugar substitutes, and sugar additives. I wanted to focus on eating REAL food and WHOLE foods.
The first week was TORTURE!! I felt so deprived! I thought about goodies every minute of the day. I'm not exaggerating. This was also the week of my ruined casserole. Very discouraging indeed. I nearly gave up the effort multiple times a day, but I stuck to my guns, mostly because I had informed everyone on the Blog and Facebook.
The next week the withdrawals kicked in. I never quite believed people when they said you could actually be addicted to sugar, until week #2. I had headaches and was SOOO very cranky. Not, a little cranky, but "I want to rip everyone's head off for looking at me" kind of cranky, even the nice people.
This last week has been by far the easiest. The natural sweetness of fruits and yes, vegetables tastes sweeter to me. I don't "crave" refined foods all the time. I do think about the sweets but the overwhelming sense of loss is gone. I can walk past a plate of cookies without thinking twice. I've learned to make homemade tortillas (a work in progress for me) and so many yummy homemade seasonings and sauces.The Results and What's Next?? I dropped 4 lbs. I had dropped ZERO working out 3x or more a week for 4 months. I think I could have easily dropped more if I could have continued jogging, but what do you do? And I FEEL so much better and so much more in control. I won't be going back on such a strict, restrictive experiment, but I WILL be more aware and more frugal in my food choices. Heck, if I can have such withdrawal symptoms it can't be that good for me right?
So that brings me to what's next....I don't want to lose my momentum so I'd like to start a new 30 day challenge. But I can't decide what to do. Bike everyday for 30 days? No seconds for 30 days? No snacking for 30 days? Go to bed by 10pm every night for 30 days? The possibilities are endless, but I want to hear what your ideas might be and then I'll choose. So help me out and post some comments with goal ideas for me!!!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SUPPORTED ME IN MY MOST DIFFICULT CHALLENGE YET!!
9 comments:
I'm so proud of you, what an accomplishment! On to the next goal,huh? I'm tracking my food this month, and trying to stay off of the scale. We'll see how things go!
You are my inspiration! I wish I could do that, I know I can but I don't want to yet, lame, I know. I would be really interested in your recipes! Especially what you use for BBQ sauce, or tomato sauce, two staples in our house, both loaded with sugar! So just to clarify you were or were not jogging throughout this experiment? I am just curious if the sugar cut alone caused the weight loss. Cuz I worked out for 5 MONTHS and lost ZERO!!!! Maybe food has a bigger impact then I like to think. Thanks for the motivation!
I think it is great that you made it. I would have to agree with Sara, I know I probably could cut our sugar, but I am not ready yet.
As for your next challenge, my mom cut out snacking and was able to lose a few pounds. How she did it was she put a bowl of sugar free wintergreen life savers on the counter. Everytime she went to the kitchen to get a snack, she would eat one of those. She said the first few days she went through a whole bag, but then it wasn't really a problem. But she didn't have little kids around, so that could make it harder to not snack. I keep thinking I need to do this. I have even boughten the life savers, but haven't had the courage to stop the snacks.
One more thing, What do you put on your oatmeal? And does honey count as a "whole food"? Probably not . . .bummer!
I did NOT jog through this experiment. I have stress fractures in my shins and have been off walking and jogging for 5 WEEKS now. Total bummer. I've been weight lifting and biking, but not doing nearly so much cardio as I need.
I skipped BBQ sauce and most condiments really. They all have sugar additives. All except mustard. Mustard has been my friend for this past month.
The only thing I put on my oatmeal was fresh fruit or raisins. It takes a bit to get used to, but worth it in the end I think.
And yes, honey does count as a whole food, because it is only processed by the bees. So that's all that's in there. I did use it, but only sparingly. That little whole food can rack up the calories FAST.
Pampered Chef Pantry items were my saving grace. All the other seasoning mixes were full of additives. I'll think about that recipe deal for a few days and let you know what I was really eating during this month.
Very ironic but your playlist started playing "Ice Cream" as I started reading this post.
I think it is great that you conquered your addiction! If I can come up with a new one for you I will let you know. Thanks again for posting this. I have enjoyed taking the journey with you!
PS I have given up my late night snack. I am always hungry right before bed. I have been losing about 1/2 lb every other week (about a pound a month) IF I don't make up for the extra calories by eating sweets, chinese food or pizza. Those seem to be my sore spots. It is a constant battle but I figure I can slowly get fatter or slowly get slimmer. I'll take slimmer any day.
Good for you, Steph!! I agree with the slowly slimmer thing too. I'm not losing big #s here, but I'm moving in the right direction and that's what really matters.
I am so impressed with your determination. I totally wouldn't be able to cut out the sugar. I am working on goals like "gaining the most weight during pregnancy" and "eating as many snacks as possible". I think I am making good progress!
Wow, what an inspiration! Thanks so much for posting your journal of the whole event. I'd love to see some of your recipes too!
As for what's next...I guess that's up to you, but I'd be so jealous if you actually got to go to bed by 10pm every night! :)
James and I are planning to do 30 days vegan in the fall sometime (similarly inspired by a book.)
Charity
Post a Comment