6.06.2009

Warning:

I extend a warning to those who may be toying with the idea of cutting out all sugar from their diet for an extended period of time:

Come back slowly...VERY slowly.

Since I finished my challenge I have begun to introduce some of the additives from my former life back into my diet. This has been what I've experienced:

#1 - We went to Reed's Dairy and I ordered a Kiddy size cup of my favorite ice cream, Mint Chocolate. Result: It wasn't as satisfying as I had imagined and I even felt slightly queasy.

#2 - We have often bought the generic version of Crystal Light drinks (which are loaded with all kinds of additives and sugar wannabes). I chose to try a glass at lunch the other day and literally spit it in the sink because it tasted DISGUSTING!! Result: It will no longer be on my shopping list... ever. (Does this make me a food snob now? hmmm...)

#3 - I introduced some condiments back in. Result: Miracle Whip is overly sweet and ketchup nearly makes me gag. I'm the one who was guilty of the quadruple dipping of french fries.

#4 - Last night was Drive-In Theater night! Yahoo! I was finally going to yum it up with my favorites; Red Vines, Peanut M&Ms, and Popcorn!! Yum Yum...right??? Result: WRONG...so very WRONG... Popcorn...delicious! Red Vines: A month ago I could eat an entire pack on my own, I didn't usually, but I could. Last night, I made it through 3 of the skinny ones. M&Ms: It had the same effect as the ice cream, not nearly so satisfying. I ate through this feeling hoping it would magically change. Ummm..note to self...that doesn't work...at all... I didn't eat anything during movie #2 and honestly, when we got home and in bed I still felt like I was going to throw up. AND even by morning I could still feel the effects of the sugar from the night before. Is that like a sugar hang over???

2 comments:

Julie said...

When Robert eats sugar late at night, he says that the next morning he has a sugar hangover. He always feels sick and doesn't want to eat anything. So I think it could be real.

Elsha said...

I had the same kind of experience when I gave up soda in high school. I didn't have one for like 6 months and the first time I did I thought-- this stuff is disgusting! Who would drink this?! Of course, now I do... Your body definitely adjusts to the way you eat.