A member of the brassica family, bok choy offers nutritional assets similar to those of other cabbages: It is rich in vitamin C and contains significant amounts of nitrogen compounds known as indoles, phytochemicals that are known to deactivate potent estrogens that can stimulate the growth of tumors, particularly in the breast.
Bok choy is also rich in fiber, potassium and calcium. A cup of bok choy has roughly the same amount of calcium as a 1/2 cup of milk.
Bok choy is also a good source of folate (vitamin B9), and with it's deep green leaves, bok choy has more beta-carotene than other cabbages. A cup of bok choy contains nearly the entire RDA for beta-carotene.
9 comments:
Also, it's delicious!
It sounds like an amazing food, but what do you do with it?!
I grilled some last night and it was pretty good that way. The girls didn't care for that method so much though, so I'm going to add it to my Gingered Beef Stir-Fry tonight.
The stir fry was a hit!! Next I'm going to chop it into our lettuce salad at lunch with some red peppers and maybe a few nuts and see how that goes. I still have LOTS, so I'm going to have to get creative. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to wait to make my menus until the Saturdays I pick up my baskets. hehe live and learn.
oops. I'm on Israel's computer, he doesn't do anything with it, but appreciate my efforts. And for that I thank him. :)
-Dianne
I've boiled and chopped it and added it to fried rice and egg rolls, and we enjoyed that. I'm anxious to hear what you think about the salad!
Charity
i did not know anything about bok choy before i read this post! now, i am super informed! :D
Charity - I actually liked the salad! I could tell it was there, but it was like a mild form of celery and the kids didn't even notice! :)
hmmm....will have to figure out how to use that stuff. sounds interesting. :)
Post a Comment