5.18.2009

Sanity Update

I have to say "Thanks!!" to those who are continuing to encourage me on my crazy experiment (no sugar or sugar additive/substitutes for 30 days). I can hardly believe I've made it this far. I thought for sure my family was going to kick me out last week from all my complaining about sore shins and no chocolate to soothe my pain. Not to mention my nasty attitude about just about everything. Sugar Detox is REAL!!! I am convinced of this. I'm also convinced that it is possible to X it out of your diet, but not easy nor fun. I'm also pretty sure I will never do this again, but I said I was going to do it and by golly you better believe I'll follow it through to the end!! I have 14 days left and my headaches are gone and fresh fruit tastes sweeter everyday. In case you're curious as to what I'm eating here are a few of my favorites right now.
  • fresh fruit of all varieties
  • LOTS of peppers
  • Fresh/Frozen Fruit Smoothies (excellent when the fam is torturing me by eating PB Cup Ice Cream in front of me)
  • Chips & Salsa BABY!!!
  • Most of my meals are from scratch anyway so I haven't had to change too much other than finding new alternatives to certain seasonings. I can even make homemade veggie pizza!! Hmmm...maybe my 30 days challenge should have included NO SECONDS!!
  • Breakfast has been my most difficult challenge. I'm pretty much alternating veggie omelets, Shredded Wheat & Bran Squares (so needs strawberries on top or it tastes like I'm eating straw!!), Cream O Wheat or Oatmeal. All good indeed, but tiresome after 16 days of rotation.
I do feel different. I feel as though by denying myself of the sugar, it is losing it's power over me. Two weeks ago it was AGONIZING to just KNOW there were things in the house that could be so yummy for me to eat and I was missing out. But now I know it's there but the desire for it has diminished some. I still have to have Iz leave the room with his big bag of Doritos at times, but I'm beginning to trust myself again. And all in all, I call that progress.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

You are awesome!! I don't even have the guts to try it. Keep it up, I know you'll make it, you've always been a strong one.

Misty said...

You are awesome. I'm way too lazy to go to the extent you have. WAY TO GO!! Although, I do love eggs for breakfast. I think I'll have some tomorrow! YUM!

Tamara said...

ooh, I keep forgetting to tell you about my latest sugar-free chocolate fix! I was making one this morning and decided to get on while I was thinkig of you instead of waiting til later and forgetting (again).
You just blend 1 cup milk, 1 ripe banana (the riper the better), 1 Tbsp cocoa powder and 4-5 ice cubes in a blender. (I add 1 Tbsp wheat gluten or soy protein and a serving of fiber as well and drink it for bfast). Even the kids like it!