5.11.2009

Shin Splints Gone Bad`

If you looked at by Nike+ widget lately she's totally slacking off and playing paddle ball. Here's why: While in Iowa I began developing shin splints and I did just what I shouldn't - I continued to through the pain for a few weeks after my race. I came to realize after a run that ended in tears I had done something worse. I did some research and I mostly likelt have developed stress fractures on the shin bones. Which are commonly developed from.. you guessed it! running through the pain. Essentially, the muscles next to the shin bone become fatigued and rely on the bone to absorb the impact thus creating a fracture. It takes 6-8 weeks of NO impact training!!! Thus, I'm revisiting bike training and will try to start swim training next week to hopefully get me in shape enough to continue running when my healing time has finished. FYI- this TOTALLY sucks and I'm not happy about it at all, but I'm trying to keep working toward my goal of a 1/2 marathon despite the setback.

3 comments:

Tavia said...

I'm SOOOOO sorry to hear that! I probably would have done the same thing. Hope you can stay focused on other training while you recover. Can you do an eliptical at the gym because technically it's not really impact?

larshannon said...

I had to take 3 weeks off and it was horrible. Even worse, getting started again is like being at square 1. I hope you feel better soon, and that this isn't a huge set back for you.

Steph said...

I had some shin pain and was wondering if it was shin splints. I usually take an advil and keep on going. Whoops! Thanks for this post!