Background: My parents are elderly (I'm the youngest of 8, it happens) and are no longer able to care for themselves. Dad suffers from Alzheimer's and Mom has several health issues. This past year they have been living with my oldest sister, Marianne, bless her heart. Well, recently they have been working really hard to get our childhood home ready for sale. Mom decided to do a "table pick" among the kids to distribute many of the things they had acquired over the years. (More on this later) Thus, I was asked to try to find a way to come home and participate in this. Israel & I realized that this was really important to my parents and decided to make it happen.
Originally, we had planned for Iz to come with us and stay the week Thanksgiving, but due to some issues at work, that was cancelled. So, it was decided that we would leave Thurs, Nov 11th at 10pm and Iz would drive with us straight through to Iowa. Then he would jump seat home on an airline out of Moline, Ill. Saturday morning. It worked beautifully! We arrived without any major incidents. Israel did have to point out that it took us 23 hours to get there and it only took him 5 hours to get back.
Here are some of our favorite parts on the way to Iowa:
1. Clothes Pin Reward system: Each child (Maggie & Emma) have a clothes pin attached to a visor. When they are being good, the clothes pin stays on the visor. If they are acting naughty (whining, asking too many questions, ;) arguing, etc) the clothes pin is removed. If their clothes pin is on the visor during a gas stop they get to pick out something for under $1. Which actually ended up being annoyingly difficult, but I'll do it different next time by assembling a grab bag style with cheap toys/candy they can pick from instead. It was a learning experience though, because they really had to pay attention to prices and decide what they really wanted. Sometimes they would pool their money and share so they could get something a little better.
2. Playing at Rest Stops!
I like how it looks like Lilly is holding a miniature light saber in her hand! Go zippers!
We were so blessed to have the trip out go so smoothly with great weather, dry roads and happy kids. :)
2 comments:
I love the picture of you and the girls!
I agree great pic
Post a Comment