12.10.2011

Family Home Evening Treasures

About a week before we left to Iowa, Maggie asked me if she could plan a Family Home Evening for while we were there.  Of course, I thought it was a great idea and we got permission from Marianne for Maggie to be in charge of it.  She planned everything, including the topic, "Happiness".  Honestly, a truly inspired choice considering my parents circumstances these days.

The day she was making her final plans, my mom was having a really hard time emotionally.  When Maggie asked her if she'd be willing to give the opening prayer that night, Mom said, "No, I just don't feel like I can".  I gently let Maggie know that she'd need to ask someone else.  After that, we forgot about it and moved on.  When we gathered for FHE, Maggie must have forgotten this (or not) and proudly announced that Grandma would be offering the opening prayer!  SHE DID and it was really nice, too.  Maggie then proceeded to ask really great questions and everyone participated.  My favorite part was when she talked about how we can be happy by sharing our talents.  She, Emma, Nathan and Nora (Britt's kids) had prepared a play to present to us about three turkeys that were shot out of trees, made into Thanksgiving dinner and all went to heaven, directed and narrated by Maggie.  It was hilarious.  I wish I'd taken pictures or video or something!  It could have become a new Holiday classic!

I'm so grateful for that opportunity to gather as a family and the inspiration of our sweet girl.  It was truly a lesson to remember.  Too bad Israel couldn't have been there.  I'm certain he would loved the entertainment portion.

No comments: