12.10.2011

And We're OFF!

You know how days can be long and weeks just fly by?  Yep, that was my experience.  Before I knew it, it was time to pack up our things and drive home. alone. just the girls and I. by ourselves. no other adult.  alone.  You can't tell I was a bit apprehensive about this can you?

First Day:  McCausland, Iowa to Kearney, Nebraska.
7+ hours of driving, stopped every 3 hrs to feed Lilly and stretch our legs, etc.  We stayed at a Comfort Inn & Suites and ended up arriving the same time as the Corn Huskers.  I was a bit nervous at first since they'd had a win that day and were rolling in coolers of beer.  But, thankfully, I didn't hear a peep!  The girls were happy because we got to swim!  Soooo glad I brought the life jackets so I wouldn't have to try to juggle 3 girls in the water.  Lilly wasn't up for a swim due to her ear infection, so that freed me up to sit on the side with her.  Though that was opportunity #2 missed for sitting in a hot tub!


 
We survived the day on Peanut Butter & Honey or Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches.  But they had a FABULOUS continental breakfast that include real dinnerware!  Ahh....the pleasures.

Day 2:  Kearney, Nebraska to Rawlins, Wyoming 8+ hours of driving in ridiculous wind, with restless kiddos and more pb&j.
Israel set up our hotel, Super 8, for reasons of price and location to I-80.  Little did he know the hole it's become in the past 10 yrs.  Here's a few of the things we encountered:

1.  The Indian desk clerk (from India) told me where the Exercise Room was, but failed to inform me it was currently closed, until I came back up to ask how I could possibly be missing it.  Fail.
2.  Upon entering and unloading all our bags, etc, and a quick survey of the dust, I realize the deadbolt doesn't work on my door.  I notify the front desk and he comes to inspect it and informs me that the chain works.  Fail.  I tell him I'd like something that doesn't break and he moves us to a new room. Success.
3.  We haul all our things to the new room and survey the layer of dust along the edges of the carpet, shower, etc.  Fail.
4.  I prepare to fill the ice bucket and realize that it looks as though a dog had literally used it as a chew toy.  Fail.
5.  Lilly drops her binky for the billionth time and I peek under the bed to retrieve it to find pop bottles under it.  Fail.
6.  I look up and just before the light by the door goes out, I see the dead bugs inside and think "Wow.  Classy place we've got here."  Fail.

Despite these things we manage to get a decent enough night's rest and head down to the continental breakfast in the morning.

7.  They had muffins that tasted like they'd been sitting on the counter uncovered for a week.  One bite was enough.  Fail.
8.  The waffle maker's Teflon coating was peeling so badly that there was more peel off than on.  Fail.
9.  Not one employee ever came in to tidy up, restock, hang out at the front desk, etc. the entire time we were in there eating cold cereal for the girls and toast for me.  Fail.

It was quite the "experience" and we were all so happy to just get out of there that we left a full hour ahead of schedule! lol!  To Super 8s credit, when I emailed them about my experience they responded that they would be sending me $50 as a "Sorry 'bout that." offering.  .

Day 3:  Rawlins, Wyoming to Idaho Falls, Idaho
Last stretch!  The only rough part was the snow/ice on the road through the mountains on hwy 191.  It lasted almost 2 hours because we were only able drive about 40 mph.  The rest of the way was blue skies and clear roads!  What a blessing!!

It was so good to be home!  The girls missed their Daddy terribly and so did I.  What an adventure, that I'm not ready to take on again anytime soon. ;)

1 comment:

Tara Oliver said...

awww Diane, your posts have made me homesick! I'm really aching to take my kids back to Iowa. it's been a year and a half or so since I've been there with them. anyway, I love your reports and your pictures. you were very brave to go by yourself. I'm glad you made it safe and sound and had such a wonderful time (in general, ha ha.....). I appreciated your driving tips and loved all of your pictures. you are blessed with such an awesome family!!