7.11.2008

Sweet Cherry Pie...

We had a fun discovery this spring. We had been told that one of our fruit trees was a pear tree and I was so excited, because I have been a big fan of pears since my youth. Now, I had never seen a pear tree, thus was unable to tell the difference until ..well...the stems seemed a bit too long for a pear and we realized we are now the proud owners of a fabulous cherry tree. After some internet research we believe they are "Royal Ann" cherries, often used for maraschino cherries and pie filling.

This is what we accomplished with our beautiful cherries today. I don't really remember canning with my mom much. I know she made some jellies and such, but I think she kinda gave up on all the extra work by the time I came around. Thus this is my first REAL canning experience. But, I am PROUD to say that with much help from my wonderful husband, together we canned 6 Quarts of cherry pie filling today. I even made my own fun labels. Too bad I was out of colored ink or they would have been really cute.Now we just have to get ready for when the apples and peaches are ready to process. I think I have a good month to prepare. Which is good because I think I'm going to have a much larger apple crop to work with....Yahoo!(no sarcasm... really)

6 comments:

Ashleigh said...

yummy! i'm envious! what are you gonna do with all that pie filling? you know, i like cherry pie...

Tamara said...

I love canning!! It just feels so wholesome. I've got to do a small batch of pickles and green beans sometime this week, but I can't wait until our tomatoes are ready so I can get the spaghetti sauce and salsa going!! Have fun with your fruit (I'm jealous, we only have apricots, and they didn't do well this year)

The Hanselmann Family said...

How fun for you! I am scared to can, I need to do it though. That is great that you have so much produce. We have an apple tree but I think it is diseased! Good work Dianne!

La Familia Mata said...

Cute labels! Way to be industrious.

Frisbies Forever said...

I did Cherries for the first time this year too! My friends called and said they had a Cherry tree and said I hate cherries, pick them if you want. We went and picked 5 gallons and made 5 pies. It was so much fun. We had a blast. We made cherry apple pie too. Yummy. There is something about picking it yourself and preparing it yourself completely that just makes it so fun. We had extra teens spend the night and they helped a ton and it just made it more fun!

Piepee said...

I love making Jellies and such with the boys. It is ever so exciting. They love straining grapes. It so messy. But I wish we had cherries. I love your labels very cute.