10.16.2009

Cruel Irony...

After a phone call to a different doctor's office, another hCG level that trickled down and increased pain on one side after activity I decided to go ahead and receive the Methotrexate. At this point there is no way that this is any longer a viable pregnancy and there is an increased chance that this is an ectopic pregnancy. Since this can be life threatening I decided the shot was better than taking a chance.

The doctor called in the order and sent me to the Women's Center at the hospital to receive it from a cancer certified nurse. It's required since it is a heavy duty drug. I was walked to a room to wait by an overly cheerful nurse (bless her clueless heart) and deposited into a room packed with cruel irony. They had me wait in a labor/delivery/recovery room for nearly an hour as I prepared to receive a shot that would end my miscarried pregnancy. I got to spent this hour staring at a labor table and the bassinet that they use to clean up and monitor newborns that I knew I wouldn't be using for some time. Cruel, cruel irony. I should really write them a letter. I thought about asking for a new room, but in the end let it go and started a shopping list for the week.

The shot didn't hurt until it started traveling through my vein. Yowza that stings a bit. Now I'm feeling a bit nauseous and tired, but that's all. Hopefully, it will do what it should and I can start exercising again. I know that will help me feel better.

13 comments:

Misty said...

Wow, I am so sorry. I bet exercising again will help. Once again, I'm so sorry!

Sara said...

I will write them a letter for you! I really will too, someone should and you have enough to worry about! I am glad you will not be in physical pain any more. I hope the emotional part will be okay too. So sorry you are having to deal with this =(

Frisbies Forever said...

You know, you would think the MEDICAL community would have a little compassion, extend a kind hand, but like everyone, they just don't think. You should write a letter, better yet, get ME an address. I will write them a letter. I am soooo very sorry! I love you so much!

Israel said...

Thanks friends and you don't have feel sorry. The emotional part is better and so far the physical part is, too. But I haven't tried jogging or anything more than walking around since Wed night. I'll try that out on Monday, just an easy mile, I think. I was just super irked that they would be so thoughtless.

Israel said...

huh? I guess I'm not signed in. lol That was, is, me talking not Israel. He rarely...rarely talks on blogs. :)

The Boyles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Boyles said...

Diane-

So sorry- sometimes they don't have a clue. When I had my miscarriage I had to have a D & C -I was pretty out of it when they took me to a recovery room but Kris cleary remembers that we were on the labor and delivery floor and so we got to hear all the newborn babies crying. Not exactly what we want to be reminded of when we have just experienced a loss is it? Hope your recovery is going well :)

Shari' said...

We sure did look at things in a different angle depending on what we are experiencing in our lives. If you need someone to go walking and I am available I will go with ya.

Unknown said...

I think we need to make a brochure with your sister's blog about what to say to a grieving family, and add a couple things to the medical community in it. Then we need to distribute them to the clinics, churches, counseling places, etc.
They need to think more about putting mothers who have "lost a child" (although it is not lost, I hate that phrase) in a room right next to (and sometimes even with) a new mother. Or in instances like yours, to have some compassion about how you might feel. Even a "sterile" white room is not what you want at that point, but it would have been better.

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness Dianne. I just caught up on blogs and read about your rough month. I am so sorry. I hate to hear of such hard times for people that are so loving. My prayers are with you.

Jaimie said...

You are super strong! You can make it through this! Stay strong and I hope the physical pain will stop soon, I know the emotional pain will be there for a long while. Squeeze those beautiful girls for me!

Andy and Adrienne Bass said...

Dianne! I just read all your blogs and wish I could be there with fresh flowers and warm cookies (not to mention a shoulder to cry on and open ended babysitting!). My sister went through something similar, and all I can say is that I wish no one had to go through it. We are praying for you and your uterine tissues! Keep us posted!

Nanette said...

Yes, I think hospitals need to get out of the 'it's just my job' mode when dealing with something like this. When my mom's 2nd preemie died, she asked if she could hold him. They brought him in, along with some paperwork for her to fill out. The nurse just stuck him on the table in front of my mom, and asked her to start filling out the forms. To the nurse it was just a dead baby, and there was no problem sticking him on a table where you would never think to put a live baby.
They really need to think of how they might want to be treated in the same situation