I am so blessed to have wonderful sisters. And not just the sisters born into my family, but the many amazing sisters (friends) I have picked up along the way in this life. We all have struggles and those struggles can vary drastically, but sometimes those struggles ring all too familiar and we want to reach out and help. Sometimes, we're not sure how extend that help or what the right things to say are, etc, etc. I count myself lucky to have had sincere and well worded comments of support here on the blog and on Facebook. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky.
My sister, Lorianne, experienced a sad loss last year and has truly fought this battle seemingly alone. She has finally opened up and is offering some amazing words of counsel for those who may have experienced a loss and for those who would like to extend comfort to them. She has given me permission to include her link. Please take the time to read this. You may bless another as they grieve by doing so.
Insights into Pain
Come back and tell me what you thought.
2 comments:
I think her comments on how to respond to someone dealing with grief are excellant. She is honest and lets people know how their comments can be interperated. We all want to let the person we know going through a hard time that we care, we all just don't know how to do it. sometimes we have experienced similar pains but we never know how other people are feeling so it is always nice to be reminded of what not to say and then some ideas of what can be done. Sometimes even the best intentions can be taken wrong so I appreciate the comments and I have heard some of the same ones in my life. Both the positive and the negative. My only hope is that people who are griefing will be able to see the true intention of those who really do care, because we mess up alot.
I feel bad if she was the recipent of every one of those comments. I have to agree with Shari', I think most people have good intentions but flounder for the right words. I am sure very few people intend to use someone else's heartache as a way to hurt them further. At times I have said dumb stuff and then I think, "Why did I just say that?!?!" Some people are good, honest and caring but socially retarded. I know a lot of people like that.
I have never experienced the loss of a child, a pregnancy or even the loss of someone really close to me. I wouldn't know what to say. Maybe at times the best thing is not to say anything at all?
Post a Comment